It’s Getting Closer….August 21st, 2017
Break Down of Eclipse Day in Alliance, Monday August 21st (MST)
Start of partial eclipse 10:27:03.6am | Start of total eclipse 11:49:09.
Maximum eclipse 11:50:24.
End of total eclipse 11:51:39.8am | End of partial eclipse 1:16:40.
Total Eclipse Length, 2 minutes and 28 seconds at Carhenge, 2 minutes 30 seconds downtown and the airport
Check out the 2017 Solar Eclipse App, “Piggyback”
The City of Alliance and the Village of Hemingford have teamed up to bring a different type of technology to our area for the August 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse! Read More
Alliance Will Host High Altitude Weather Balloon for Eclipse, NE Attracting NASA Scientists
Nebraska’s wide open spaces and acknowledgments by experts to be one of the best locations in America to view this summer’s total solar eclipse, has caught the attention of scientists working with NASA. Read More
Total Solar Eclipse Science Fair In Alliance
The Alliance Public Library is hosting a Total Eclipse Science Fair this summer for students entering 1st through 12th grades. Read More
Nebraska Set for Prime Viewing of August Solar Eclipse
Plan ahead to get your best viewing and avoid traffic congestion. Read More
Nebraska Sandhills One of the Best Places to View the Eclipse
According to http://neclipse17.com, “The Sandhills country of Nebraska is a prime location for viewing the eclipse. A careful weather observer has taken notes over 20 years and reports that 70% of late August days are favorable for eclipse viewing. Read More…
Nebraska Gov. Ricketts To Watch Solar Eclipse From Carhenge
Gov. Pete Ricketts plans to watch next month’s solar eclipse from one of Nebraska’s quirkiest roadside attractions. Ricketts said Thursday he will travel to Carhenge in Alliance to view the eclipse on Aug. 21.
Alliance is one of several Nebraska communities hosting viewing events because of its location. Viewers in the area will experience a total solar eclipse, in which the moon completely obscures the sun’s light for a few minutes.
Ricketts says he chose the site because eclipses are mystical events, and he thinks of Carhenge as one of the state’s most mystical sites. Carhenge is a replica of England’s Stonehenge, formed out of vintage American automobiles.
Weather Re-Cap For Eclipse Day, August 21st
According to http://carhengesolareclipse2017.com/, Looking for the best weather and clear blue skies to see the eclipse. With the dry Western Nebraska climate, and the time of year, there is an excellent chance of cloudless skies. Historically speaking, there is about a 50% chance of no cloud cover on that day and time, a 40% chance of some clouds, with only a 10% chance of total obscurity (a rainy day). From Eclipsophile.com/Nebraska: “A good home base for eclipse expeditions is Alliance, NE, located in the best weather zone on the plains. Highway 2 from Alliance offers 320 km of in-the-track travel toward the east if cloud avoidance is necessary and a westerly escape can go all the way to Casper, Wyoming and still stay in the umbral region.”
Nebraska Agencies Make Special Preparations For Eclipse
State agencies are making special preparations for the solar eclipse that’s expected draw hundreds of thousands of visitors to Nebraska. Gov. Pete Ricketts outlined the plans Monday with officials from the state’s parks, tourism, transportation, law enforcement and emergency management agencies.
Officials estimate Nebraska will see between 100,000 and 400,000 visitors because it’s a prime location to view the Aug. 21 eclipse. A large swath of the state will experience a total eclipse, in which the moon completely obscures the sun’s light for a few minutes. The Nebraska State Patrol and Department of Transportation are bracing for a large increase in road traffic. The transportation department plans to temporarily reduce the number of construction and maintenance projects scheduled for that day. Tourism officials are working with cities on viewing parties.