Click on the left side of the black bars below to access audio
It appears the Saturday fire that destroyed a wooden grain elevator at Farmers Co-op in Gordon will never officially be known. Co-op interim CEO Dale Anderson says investigators believe the fire was the result of spontaneous combustion, but can’t confirm it.
The destroyed elevator was used to store dry grain used in the nearby feed mill which, along with several grain bins, was saved by firefighters. Anderson says it’s been a combination of business as usual and cleanup at the Gordon facility the past couple days.
Although the feed mill was undamaged, loss of the storage elevator has put a crimp in operations. Anderson says Farmers Co-op is, for the time being, storing grain for the feed mill at other co-op locations.
Anderson says the elevator and grain were insured, giving the co-op board flexibility when it meets soon to decide on a long-term solution to the storage issue. He also says there is still no definitive dollar damage estimate from the fire.