BELLEVUE, Neb. (AP) — Fire officials say separate fires less than a week apart at the same Bellevue apartment complex were started the same way — by carelessly discarded cigarettes.
Officials say the first fire on July 22 damaged a third-floor apartment at the Gateway Park Apartments complex. But the next fire, on Tuesday, left the building uninhabitable and dozens of people without homes.
It also sent four people, including a Bellevue firefighter, to a hospital for injuries.
The Bellevue Fire Department says that the second fire caused $1 million in damage to the building and $250,000 in damage to its contents.