Posted 7 months ago
By John Axtell
The Tony Tangwall family lost their house of 7 years a week ago Sunday while Gary and Yoland Lays Bad and their two children had their mobile home near Porcupine destroy last Saturday.
The cause of the Tangwall fire, which occurred just as the family was leaving for the evening, remains under investigation.
The Lays Bads believe the fire that destroyed their home may have been caused by faulty wiring in the kitchen. Gary Lays Bad, a teacher’s assistant at Wolf Creek School, was home alone and escaped unharmed.
The Tangwalls were contacted by the Red Cross, but did not need help. They plan to rebuild their home as soon as possible.
The Lays Bads were faced with some immediate needs because their daughters, ages 10 and 14, had their first day of classes at Porcupine Elementary and Pine Ridge High School on Monday.
The Oglala Sioux Tribe Wakpamni District is asking for donations to help, especially any extra household goods. Yolanda Lays Bad, a part-time coach at Porcupine day school, says they’re taking things one day at a time.
Financial donations may be made at a secure website…gofundme.com/dko0pg…while information on other donations is available by calling Yoland Lays Bad at 605-454-0001.