Posted 4 months ago
By Kevin Horn
Welcome to the City of Alliance Activity Report.
– Summer hours for the Knight Museum and Sandhills Center will begin on Monday, May 5. The museum will be open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Summer hours will be in effect until September 30.
– Due to an increase in the amount of vandalism to the public restrooms in Central Park, the doors to the restrooms will now be locked at 7:00 p.m.
– Ladies Golf Clinics will begin at Sky View Golf Course on Tuesday, May 6 at 5:30 p.m. and Wednesday, May 7 at 10 a.m. Please contact the golf course at 762-1446 for more information.
– Residents of the City of Alliance are encouraged to participate in the 2014 Green Up Clean Up Days from Tuesday, May 6 through Saturday, May 10. During Green Up Clean Up Days, residents will be allowed to bring any items normally accepted at the Municipal Landfill for disposal at no cost with the exception of tires, hazardous materials and construction and demolition materials. Green Up, Clean Up Days are for residential utility customers of the City of Alliance only. All business and commercial companies will be required to pay normal landfill disposal fees. The operating hours of the Alliance Landfill areMonday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please bring documentation with you to verify that you are a resident of the City of Alliance. If you have no way to transport your items to the landfill, you may contact Keep Alliance Beautiful at 762-1729 to schedule a pick up. After scheduling your pick up, please place the items at curbside and plan to be present while crews are loading the truck. For more information, please call Keep Alliance Beautiful at 762-1729 or Larry Heinrich at 762-1907.
– Red Cross swimming lesson sign up is available at the Knight Museum and Sandhills Center until Friday, May 9, at 5:00 p.m. The cost is $30.00 per child and payment is required at the time of registration. No registrations will be accepted after that date.
– A draft report of the Corridor Development and Management Plan for the Heartland Expressway is available in the lobby of the Municipal Building. A link to the report is also available on the City of Alliance website in the News Flash area.
– The Utility Office staff will be moving back into their newly remodeled office today. The office will close at noon while equipment is being moved; however the payment drop box will remain available for customer convenience. The Utility Office now provides complete handicapped accessibility to the Municipal Building which includes a ground floor meeting room that provides City staff an area to address our neighbor’s needs.
– All staff in the Community Development Department will be located on the second floor of the Municipal Building effective Monday, May 5. Anyone wishing to obtain a building permit or schedule inspections may do so in their new office space.
– The Human Resources Department will move to the office located at 205 West Fourth Street which has formerly housed the Community Development office as well as temporary office space for the Utility Office. Job descriptions and applications may be obtained at this location.
– The Alliance Fraternal Order of Police Lodge #51 will be presenting Operation Magic by Scott Anderson at the Performing Arts Center on Saturday, May 17. The show will be presented at 2:00; 5:00 and 8:00 p.m. Tickets are available for $15.00 for adults and $7.00 for children 12 and under. Proceeds from the performance will be used to enhance community involvement such as the Pumpkin Patch Project for the elementary students.
– The Knight Museum and Sandhills Center monthly Scrapbook Crop will be held today and Saturday, May 3. Please contact Becci at 762-2384 if you are interested in preserving your heritage through scrapbooking.
– Finished pots for the Read Around the Posies Silent Auction may be brought to the library no later than May 3. The flower pots will be displayed in the front lobby of the library from Monday, May 5 through Saturday, May 10 at noon. Don’t miss this opportunity to purchase a beautiful flower pot arrangement to give as a gift or enjoy on your own patio!
– The last Brown Bag program of the season will be held today at noon in the Community Rooms in the Alliance Public Library. Nebraska native Shannon Baker will present a program on her Nora Abbott mystery series. Light refreshments will be provided by the Friends of the Library.
– Carhenge has been chosen as one of the 80 stops on the 2014 Nebraska Tourism Commission Passport Program as part of the “How We Move” tour. Passports and stamps will be available at the Visitor’s Bureau at 305 Box Butte Avenue until May 17 when the Carhenge Pit Stop officially opens for the summer.
This concludes the Activity Report brought to you by the City of Alliance and KCOW, working together to “Build the Best Hometown in America!” Find us on the web at www.cityofalliance.net or on Facebook at City of Alliance, Nebraska!