Posted 5 months ago
By Kevin Horn
Welcome to the City of Alliance Activity Report for Friday, April 25, 2014:
– Potash Avenue will be closed from 2nd Street to Hills Avenue Monday, April 28 through Friday, May 2 while work is being done to the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad underpass. Detours will be provided. Please exercise caution while driving in the construction area. A second road closure of approximately one week will be necessary prior to completion of the project. The project which includes two full lane widths and a pedestrian walkway is anticipated to be complete by Saturday, June 28.
– The Community Development Department is currently accepting applications for 2014 Contractor’s Licenses. All persons doing business in the City of Alliance are required to be licensed and must be able to provide proof of insurance coverage. All 2013 Contractor Licenses will expire on April 30. Applications are available in the City Clerk’s office located at 324 Laramie. Electrical contractors are asked to please register with the Community Development Department.
– Summer hours for the Knight Museum and Sandhills Center will begin on Monday, May 5. The museum will be open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Summer hours will be in effect until September 30.
– Ladies Golf Clinics will begin at Sky View Golf Course on Tuesday, May 6th at 5:30 p.m. and Wednesday, May 7th at 10:00 a.m. Please contact the golf course at 762-1446 for more information.
– Residents of the City of Alliance are encouraged to participate in the 2014 Green Up Clean Up Days from Tuesday, May 6-10. During Green Up Clean Up Days, residents will be allowed to bring any items normally accepted at the Municipal Landfill for disposal at no cost with the exception of tires, hazardous materials and construction and demolition materials. Green Up, Clean Up Days are for residential utility customers of the City of Alliance only. All business and commercial companies will be required to pay normal landfill disposal fees. The operating hours of the Alliance Landfill are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Please bring documentation with you to verify that you are a resident of the City of Alliance. If you have no way to transport your items to the landfill, you may contact Keep Alliance Beautiful at 762-1729 to schedule a pick up. After scheduling your pick up, please place the items at curbside and plan to be present while crews are loading the truck. For more information, please call Keep Alliance Beautiful at 762-1729 or Larry Heinrich at 762-1907.
– The last Brown Bag program of the season will be held on Friday, May 2 in the Alliance Public Library Community Rooms. Nebraska native Shannon Baker will present a program on her Nora Abbott mysteries, “Broken Trust” and “Tainted Mountain.” Light refreshments will be provided courtesy of the Friends of the Library.
– Children are invited to Story Time at the Alliance Public Library on Tuesday, April 29 at 10:00 a.m. and Thursday, May 1, at 1:00 p.m. to celebrate May Day!
– Red Cross swimming lesson sign up is available at the Knight Museum and Sandhills Center until Friday, May 9, at 5:00 p.m. The cost is $30.00 per child and payment is required at the time of registration. No registrations will be accepted after that date.
– Season passes for the 2014 swimming season will be available beginning Monday, May 12 from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Knight Museum and Sandhills Center only. Please bring a 1”x1” photo of each individual pass holder. If you do not have the necessary photos, they may be taken for a $2.00 fee per photo. Prices for season passes are as follows: Household pass – $130.00; 17 and under – $50.00; 18 and older – $70.00; Lap swim only – $35.00. Big Blue Bay is scheduled to open Saturday, May 24th if weather conditions and water temperature permits. For more information, please contact the museum at 762-2384.
– The Alliance Senior Center located at 212 Yellowstone is open Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. with lunch served at 11:45 a.m. Lunch reservations may be made by calling 762-8774 prior to 10:00 a.m. A free Beltone Hearing Aid Test will given on May 8 from 11:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.; Music and Dance will take place on May 9 from 12:30 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.; Senior Center Advisory Board Meeting will be held on May 13 at 10:00 a.m.; Senior Card Party/Tournament will be held onMay 23rd from 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. The Golden Age Group meets the first and third Tuesday of each month and bingo is available every Wednesday from 12:30 to 2:00 p.m. A complete schedule of events may be found on the City of Alliance webpage atwww.cityofalliance.net.
– Plans are currently underway to move the Utility Office staff back into their newly remodeled office on Friday, May 2. Customer service may be limited during the move; however the payment drop box will remain available for customer convenience.
This concludes the Activity Report brought to you by the City of Alliance and KCOW, working together to “Build the Best Hometown in America!” Find us on the web at www.cityofalliance.net or on Facebook at City of Alliance, Nebraska!