Posted 2 years ago
By Post Staff
St. John’s Lutheran Church at 21st and Emerson in Alliance will host a chicken and noodle dinner and silent auction this Sunday, September 15. Soup will be served from 12 noon – 2 pm, while the auction runs from 9 am to 2 pm.
There were be several items up for auction including art glass imported from Italy.
Net proceeds will go to the Malaria Project.
The event is open to the public.
What is the Malaria Project? The Evangelical Lutheran Church of Amerca, through the ELCA Malaria Campaign, is joining hands with eleven Lutheran church bodies in Africa and becoming part of an historic global movement to say, “enough is enough!” No child, no person, should die of a disease that is both preventable and treatable. Therefore the ELCA Malaria Campaign has committed to raise $15 million to help prevent, treat and educate communities in Africa about malaria and eliminate deaths from this disease – for good.
The ELCA Malaria Campaign funds programs of our companion churches that:
– provide life-saving health care — including medicine to treat malaria
– train health care providers and church volunteers to diagnose and treat malaria
– teach people how to protect themselves from the mosquitoes that spread malaria, recognize symptoms and seek treatment
– distribute insecticide-treated mosquito nets and provide training on their use
– provide preventative medication to protect pregnant women and their babies
– encourage governments to provide adequate heath care and malaria prevention activities
– support water treatment projects to control the environments where mosquitoes breed.