REGIONAL WEST MEDICAL NURSES PRAISED FOR FIRE RESPONSE

Posted 1 year ago

By John Axtell

Regional West Medical Center -1An overheated motor in an HVAC unit is blamed for a fire last night at Regional West Medical Center.

The Scottsbluff Fire Department says there were no injuries and minimal damage, and praises the hospital nursing staff for an initial attack with an extinguisher and keeping patients sheltered in their rooms.

The call came in just after 10:00 of heavy smoke on the 3rd floor of the north side of the hospital, but by the time fire crews arrived, the nurses had found the faulty hallway HVAC unit and put out the fire.

The fire department then used large fans to clear the smoke from the hospital. The last units from the Scottsbluff and Gering departments left the hospital around 11: 25 p.m.