Posted 2 years ago

By Post Staff

July 2, 2013 – Farm Service Agency’s (FSA) Kim Buchheit, Farm Loan Manager, announced that Sheridan Co. is one of (4) Nebraska counties designated as contiguous natural disaster areas due to severe storms, tornadoes, and flooding conditions affecting parts of South Dakota.  Those counties are Cherry, Dakota, Dixon, and Sheridan.


These counties were designated a Presidential Major Disaster on June 28, 2013, based on severe storms, tornadoes, and flooding.  This designation authorizes Emergency (EM) Loans for eligible producers.  Buchheit stated, “Producers in these counties are encouraged to contact their local FSA Service Center for detailed information about available programs and updated disaster designations.”

Emergency Loan applications are available for qualifying physical or production losses caused by these disaster conditions.  Physical losses include structures, equipment, supplies and livestock while production losses include crops.  These loans do require security and the ability to repay the loan.  The deadline for submitting applications is February 28, 2014.  For additional details contact the Dawes/Northern Sioux FSA office at 308-432-4616.


In addition to the Emergency (EM) Loan Program, the FSA has other loan programs and disaster assistance programs which can be considered in assisting farmers to recover from their losses.  Contact your local FSA Service Center or access additional information about Farm Loan and FSA Disaster Assistance programs at


USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.  To file a complaint of discrimination, write:  USDA, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Ave., SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call (866) 632-9992 (Toll-free Customer Service), (800) 877-8339 (Local or Federal relay), (866) 377-8642 (Relay voice users).

While this release pertains to the availability of FSA programs, other federal agencies such as FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) and SBA (Small Business Administration) may also have assistance to the public.  Information is available from these two agencies at the following websites: and