Posted 10 months ago
By Kevin Horn
– Big Blue Bay is scheduled to open Saturday, May 25 if weather conditions and water temperature permits. Operating hours will be as follows for the month of May: Noon to 1:00 p.m. Adult Lap Swim; 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Open Swim; 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. Adult Lap Swim and 8 and under Family Swim. Hours of operation will be extended as temperatures continue to rise.
– Season passes for the 2013 swimming season are now available from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. at the Knight Museum and Sandhills Center only. Please bring a 1”x1” photo of each individual pass holder. If you do not have the necessary photos, they may be taken for a $2.00 fee per photo. Prices for season passes are as follows: Household pass – $130.00; 17 and under – $50.00; 18 and older – $70.00; Lap swim only – $35.00. For more information, please contact the museum at 762-2384.
– The front steps of the Municipal Building located at 324 Laramie will be replaced beginning May 28. During the construction period, there will be no access through the east doors of the building. Entry to the City offices including City Manager, City Clerk, Finance Department, Community Development and GIS will be routed through the Utility Office located on the south side of the Municipal Building. Weather permitting, the project is anticipated to be completed by June 28.. Please call 762-5400 in advance to arrange for any special accommodations needed for meetings with City staff.
– The Sallows Military Museum located at 11th and Niobrara is now open Sundays from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. and will be staffed by the American Legion Auxiliary. Don’t forget to plan a trip to the Military Museum with your out of town visitors this summer!
– Decorations may be placed on graves at the Alliance City Cemetery for Memorial Day beginning today and should be picked up by Sunday, June 2. Items not removed will be picked up on Monday, June 3rd and disposed of.
– City of Alliance staff members and volunteers will be at the Alliance City Cemetery from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 25, Sunday, May 26, and Monday, May 27, to provide assistance in the location of graves for Memorial Day weather permitting.
– All City of Alliance offices will be closed on Monday, May 27, in observance of Memorial Day. Regular business hours will resume on Tuesday, May 28.
– Due to the Memorial Day holiday, there will be no trash pick up on Monday, May 27, which will result in steel containers being emptied only once during the week.
Now that the Central Park Fountain is in operation for the season, we are asking for the community’s cooperation regarding its maintenance. The water filtration and disinfection system is not designed to eliminate contaminants such as germs and other transmittable infections which can be introduced by swimmers or animals entering the fountain. Please contact the Alliance Police Department at 762-4955 if you observe anyone or their pets in the fountain. If you have any questions regarding the fountain, please contact the Cultural and Leisure Services Department at 762-2384.
– Attention parents! Now is the time to enroll your child in a Junior Golf Camp at Sky View Golf Course at no charge! Golf camp will begin on Tuesday, June 4 and will be conducted for 4 weeks. Classes for children ages 12, 13 and 14 will be held at 9:00 a.m.; ages 9, 10 and 11 will be held at 10:00 a.m. and ages 6, 7, and 8 will begin at 11:00 a.m. Please contact Doug at 762-1446 to sign up!
– For those families that have not yet purchased a Family Membership at Sky View Golf Course, the Family Golf program may be just right for you! Children under the age of 10 who are accompanied by a paying adult, will receive free greens fees Monday through Thursday before 1:00 p.m. and Friday through Sunday after 2:00 p.m.
– The Ladies Golf Association will be hosting a membership drive on Wednesday, May 29, at 5:00 p.m. All new golfers are encouraged to take advantage of playing 9 holes of golf for FREE! You are also invited to join the ladies for dinner by contacting Sky View at 762-1446 for a reservation.
– The Alliance Public Library Computer lab will be closed on Tuesday, May 28, and Wednesday, May 29, for the installation of lab management software. Library cards which are available at the circulation desk will be required to access the computers beginning Thursday, May 30.
– Basic Computer Skills class will be held at the Alliance Public Library on Wednesday, May 29, from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. and is free of charge. Please call the library at 762-1387 to reserve a seat.
– Registration for summer reading at the Alliance Public Library will end today at 4:30 p.m. A calendar of events is available listing the many programs available for children and young adults!
– The City of Alliance is happy to announce that the Municipal Code is available once again on the City’s website atwww.cityofalliance.net. Simply by clicking onto the Municipal Code box located on the home page and Searchable Code on the second page, you will be directed to the Municode website for Alliance which will allow you to search the Code for specific information.
In honor of Memorial Day, Dan Kusek and Allen Pannell will share the story of the Nebraska Veterans Cemetery at Alliance with the Heritage Seekers group on Thursday, May 30, at 6:30 p.m. at the Knight Museum and Sandhills Center. Anyone interested in joining the group is welcome to attend.
– Celebrate 125 years of Building the Best Hometown in America with the Passport to Alliance contest! Passport to Alliance is a scavenger hunt/trivia game that pays out $125 each week all summer long! Passports are available at Box Butte Central, Carhenge, Knight Museum and Sandhills Center, Sallows Military Museum, Veterans Cemetery, Dobby’s Frontier Town, Carnegie Arts Center, Alliance Public Library, YMCA and Sky View Golf Course. Grab your family and friends and see all the things there are to do in Alliance!
This concludes the Activity Report brought to you by the City of Alliance and KCOW, working together to “Build the Best Hometown in America!” Find us on the web at www.cityofalliance.net or on Facebook at City of Alliance, Nebraska!
Have a great weekend!