FIRE DAMAGES COZAD’S FORD GARAGE IN GERING

Posted 11 months ago

By John Axtell

Cozads Ford Garage fire - 1A fire early Sunday morning caused significant damage to the historic Cozad’s Ford Garage in Gering. Owners Tom and Donna Cozad were in their apartment in the building at the time, but were rescued without injury by the Scottsbluff Fire Department…which joined the Scottsbluff Rural department assisting the Gering Fire Department.

Gering Fire Chief Jay Templar says the blaze was caused by a short in a light fixture in the main display area on the southwest end of the building, with fire damage contained to that area with limited structural damage. Smoke and water damage occurred through out.

The Garage housed a number of restored classic cars and a number of antiques. Deputy State Fire Marshall Mike Turner says several antiques were damaged, but all of the cars were saved…although most suffered paint damage.

The fire was reported by two bypassers who said they saw something they didn’t feel was right, drove around the block again, and called 911. Tom Cozad says he was alerted to the fire by the first emergency responder…a Gering police officer.

The Ford Garage was scheduled to be the final stopping point for the Sugar Valley Rally in two weeks, and Tom Cozad says it still will…but with some portions closed off for repairs.